Sunday, August 12, 2012

Where the hell is my entourage?

The house lights go dark, a hush falls over the comfortably stoned crowd as the remnants of their "left-handed cigarettes" waft up to the rafters....The spot lights dart back and forth across the coliseum..."Ladies and Gentlemen...." and now the crowd lets loose a deafening roar..."please welcome LARA....." OR...."And the Oscar goes to...Lara!!"  wooooooohhhoooooo!!
These were the dreams of my youth.  By God, I was going to be famous, come hell or high water.  When I was about 10, my mother bought me this bamboo style yellow bedroom furniture, complete with a canopy bed, which had tall posts to accommodate the canopy.  How glamorous I felt in that canopy bed!  When I had outgrown the canopy and grown into the delusion of being a rock star or A-list actress, the canopy came down and I somehow rigged a tennis racket tied with a shoe string on one of the posts to serve as my "microphone on a stand."  Lord, the songs I used to belt out on that microphone, "Landslide" (the original one by Fleetwood Mac,) pretty much anything by Pat Benetar and even "Oh Mickey" by Toni Basil...the one that goes "oh Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine  you blow my mind, HEY Mickey, HEY Mickey."  I'm sorry, but you will probably have that one stuck in your noggin for the next day or two and I gladly accept the curses you will send my way :)
There's no telling how many "acceptance speeches" I proudly proclaimed into that microphone: "First, I owe a world of thanks to my amazing agent, Rick Springfield..." because in those days he had transformed from Dr. Noah Drake on GH into my agent and the actors who played Bo & Hope from Days of our Lives along with Luke & Laura from GH were my best friends.
My point is, I had the moves of a singing sensation and the prolific prose of a great actress, I just knew I was going to rocket to stardom...complete with jet setting trips all over the world, with my entourage dutifully in tow, ready to grant my every whim & wish...like strawberries sliced just perfectly to sink snuggly to the bottom curve of the crystal champagne flute, which is filled with Dom and just a splash of OJ (mostly for color.) Or to tell me how amazing my portrayal of Jayne Mansfield was in my latest Oscar-worthy adaptation...
Fast forward 30 years and here I am...the only thankful acceptance speech I've given lately was to the lady at AutoZone for telling my husband which spark plugs were best for my car.  That whole story will be written about too, I'm sure - so stay tuned for that one!
Here I am, about to transfer money to my daughter to buy a mattress for the new bedroom furniture she bought herself, for the new house she just moved into for her Junior year of college.  Here I am, looking at pictures of my youngest she's just posted to FB, thinking "she's certainly not using the correct SPF level of sunscreen for a lifeguard who is in the sun all day, every day" because she has a rich, golden tan that accentuates her blond hair beautifully...Here I am, pausing my poignant pontificating so I can run to the office to play my husband's turn at Farkle so his brother in Denton doesn't beat him while he finishes up a chore I asked him to do last Tuesday.
And then it hits me: "Where the hell is MY entourage??" This is not what I had planned!!!  This is actually better than what I had planned.  I have the best life I could have ever dreamed!  I love the fact that the only spot lights I need are the ones we have to bust out to go find Lola when she escapes to terrorize the kids down the road.  Not to mention that my actual singing talent is best left to when I'm in the car, alone....with NO ONE around to hear me.  I'd bet my fancy luggage that if you ever heard me sing, you would agree, without a moment's hesitation.
I don't have an entourage.  I have a FAMILY!!!  One that makes me so proud I can barely breath.  One kid smart & responsible enough to be at A&M, one smart & responsible enough to be trusted with people's lives and a husband who actually helps out around the house.  Entourage, smontourage...I love my family and I love my simple, Houdini chihuahua chasing life.  Who cares that the mimosa is in a mason jar and that I forgot to get strawberries at the grocery store :)


No comments:

Post a Comment